Same Sex Couples: How to Preserve The Right To File An Amended “Married” Federal Tax Return

Though same sex marriage is legal in New York, because of the Defense of Marriage Act (“DOMA”), the federal government will not recognize it. It is widely believed that the United States Supreme Court will hear arguments on the constitutionality of DOMA, but, unless and until DOMA is declared unconstitutional and same sex marriage is recognized by the federal government, same sex couples cannot file a joint tax return.       

If same sex marriage is recognized by the federal government, same sex couples may be eligible to file an amended return to change their filing status.   The problem is, however, that taxpayers are only permitted to amend their returns for the prior three tax years or two years since paying the tax.     For any tax returns filed outside of the limitation period, the tax payers may just be out of luck.

Same sex filers can protect their rights by filing a “Protective Claim for Refund.” As pointed out by Moskowitz LLP, “A Protective Claim for Refund may be advisable if your right to a tax refund is contingent on future events and may not be determinable until after the time period for filing a claim for refund expires.”    

Provided the protective return was timely filed and the deductible amount is not determined until the expiration of the limitation, the IRS may refund the over paid tax resulting from the change in filing status.


16 Responses

  1. Contact your lender regarding monthly balance and deferment choices.
  2. It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!
  3. Once you publish your completed online application for the cash loan, you will then be forwarded towards the lenders page where you will digitally sign for your instant payday loan as well as your funds will be transferred into your accounts in as little as a few hours, typically the same day time if you apply early enough within the day.
  4. 11/4/2016 @ 14:09:41: Thanks for the post!
  5. 11/7/2016 does it again! Quite a perceptive site and a well-written post. Keep up the good work!
  6. 11/9/2016 does it again! Quite a perceptive site and a thought-provoking post. Keep up the good work!
  7. Many thanks for the inspiring site you've set up at Your enthusiasm is certainly contagious. Thanks again!
  8. In my opinion, does a excellent job of dealing with subjects of this kind! While sometimes intentionally controversial, the posts are in the main well researched and thought-provoking.
  9. does it yet again! Quite a informative site and a thought-provoking post. Thanks!
  10. Like this site– very informative and lots to think about!
  11. 11/28/2016 @ 00:50:12 In my opinion, does a great job of dealing with issues of this type! Even if frequently deliberately polemic, the posts are generally well researched and challenging.
  12. Nadie mejor que el técnico que le está atendiendo conoce tanto la máquina como la instalación, evidentemente si cuando el va no da el fallo poco puede hacer al respecto. En principio para una caldera de pellets bronpi, y sin entrar en más detalles que el instalador podrá conocer mejor que yo podemos aventurarnos a afirmar que lo que a priori parece es un problema de presión del circuito de agua. Hemos de tener en cuenta que para las calderas de pellets las salidas de humos son super importantes, han de ser de acero inoxidable 316, doble pared y no tener más de 1 metro en horizontal.
  13. I simply want to say I am newbie to blogs and truly liked this page. Likely I’m want to bookmark your blog post . You absolutely have excellent writings. Thanks a bunch for sharing your web-site.
  14. As soon as I observed this web site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.
  15. An additional issue is that video gaming has become one of the all-time biggest forms of excitement for people of any age. Kids play video games, and also adults do, too. The particular XBox 360 is amongst the favorite games systems for many who love to have a lot of games available to them, and also who like to learn live with others all over the world. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
  16. Hi there, I found while searching for a similar topic in the search engines. It seems to be informative; I’ve bookmarked it in my Google favourites.

Leave a comment

Contact Us Now!
(212) 683-9551